Zoning Analysis, Documents and Reports
Most commercial real-estate transactions require zoning documents from a government agency confirming the zoning on the property in questions. Zoning investigation for banks, lending institutions, REITS, title insurance companies, buyers, real estate attorneys, property managers and state agencies is often a complex task as zoning laws and codes change frequently but zoning due diligence and analysis is required.
The zoning of a property determines what kinds of structures may be built, remodeled, specifies land use, property use, parking, and much more. For example, a land owner may want to demolish the existing old structure and build a shopping mall. Zoning details gives the owner details as to what may be built on his/her land. The zoning information will identify if the planned construction (a shopping mall) is allowed including height, size, location rules, parking rules, and other restrictions apply when developing.
However, the process becomes even more arduous for multi-site and multi-location real estate transactions. For example, an Equity firm or REIT wants to invest in a National Retail Chain portfolio including sixty stores across five states. A complete and expert zoning analysis and zoning due diligence is required supported by municipal documentation. Buyers, lenders or insurance companies do not have the time or the understanding of technical terminology within municipalities to handle such cases. That's when they hire the Planning and Zoning Resource Corporation for zoning analysis, advice and service needs.
PZR® has developed a zoning report format supported by municipal documentation which provides companies with a reliable, independently confirmed statement that speaks to the compliance status of your property's existing use, setbacks, height, density and parking. PZR® will provide you with a zoning report early in the due diligence process so that comfort levels can be reached as to legal conforming and nonconforming issues.
PZR® Zoning report is extensive and includes
- The specific zoning designation of the site, as established by the current municipal code.
- The uses allowed under the zoning designation established by the zoning ordinance and whether the present use of the subject site is legally permitted.
- The minimum yard or setback requirements and a review of the survey for compliance.
- The building height requirement, whether by number of stories or actual height above ground level, and a review of the survey for compliance.
- The bulk or density restrictions of the property, and a determination of compliance.
- The formula for determining the minimum parking requirement, and a comparison of the required parking count to the actual site count.
- Special circumstances to be considered could include legal non-compliance of any of the above factors, the issuance of zoning compliance letters from the municipalities, the existence of variances, council minutes, certificates of occupancy, building inspections and the effect of site plan approval.
The Planning and Zoning Resource Corporation (PZR®) provides zoning investigation and provides several services.
- Zoning Verification Letters
- Building and Zoning Code Violation Letters
- Certificates of Occupancy
- Building Permits
- Variances, Special Use Permits or Conditional Use Permits
- Planned Unit Developments
- Site Plans
- Zoning Codes
- ALTA Land Title Survey Coordination through SRN
is the leading commercial zoning company due diligence and zoning analyst in America. The Planning and Zoning Resource Corporation been an integral part of some of the largest multi-site transactions on record, as well as single site transactions financed by local and national lenders. The Planning and Zoning Resource Corporation is the creator and sole provider of The PZR Report®
(Zoning Report) which sets the standard in zoning reports, letters, analysis, endorsements and is highly recognized and accepted by virtually every segment of the commercial real estate industry. PZR®
has great experience and expertise with New York City Zoning, zoning-info, zoning services, NYC zoning, Florida Zoning Reports and throughout all states.