What is a Zoning Verification Letter
A municipal zoning letter is a legally recognized document which informs commercial property owners, lenders and prospective buyers of zoning laws related to the particular property based on the municipalities current zoning codes and even includes past history of the site.
- A zoning verification letter will provide a general description of the zoning district, references to any applicable zoning and development standards plus the zoning history related to the current zoning entitlements.
- A Zoning Letter can provide information on legal land uses, zoning, zoning district performance standards, development history, and compliance.
- In most cases, The Zoning Verification Letter does not verify compliance with development regulations, parking, or certify legal non-conforming status.
- Zoning verification letters may include a copy of the zone map and documentation regarding the regulations pertaining to the zoning site.
According to the Planning and Resource Corporation, a Zoning Verification Letter is a preliminary document which does not verify compliance or certify legal non-conforming status. Examples of requested zoning verification letters are included:
- RedWood City, CA (CA Zoning Verification Letter Request)
- City Of Dallas, TX (Texas Zoning Verification Letter Request)
- Arlington, TX (Texas Municipality Zoning Verification Letter Request)
- Phoenix, AZ (Arizona Zoning Verification Letter Request)
- Bakersfield, CA (California Zoning Verification Letter Request)
City municipalities and states will each have different rules and regulations. For commercial transactions spanning across multiple states or consisting of multiple sites, thorough zoning research is needed which can be very tedious, expensive and time consuming for the buyer or lender. Zoning laws come into play on every single commercial real estate transaction and prior to the transaction completion, zoning due diligence is required. A zoning verification letter may be one part of the overall zoning research and analysis.
The Planning and Zoning Resource Corporation has been an integral part of some of the largest multi-site transactions on record, as well as single site transactions financed by local and national lenders. The Planning and Zoning Resource Corporation is the creator and sole provider of The PZR Report®
(Zoning Report) which sets the standard in zoning reports, letters, analysis, endorsements and is highly recognized and accepted by virtually every segment of the commercial real